Thursday, June 13, 2013

Last thoughts on Telluride residents' program

#TPSER9 Over the last few days, I've provided some stories from this year's Patient Safety Summer Camp in Telluride.  I hope you've enjoyed them and found them of value (and made you envious of the students and faculty who were lucky enough to attend!)

Now, if you have time, take a look over at the Transparent Health website.  You will find observations there from the students and faculty members.  To whet your appetite, here's one from Stephanie:

I just can’t believe I am surrounded by such an amazing and inspiring group of people. I cannot even begin to reflect on all the incredible moments of which I have been a part so far this week (and it’s only Wednesday!) but this is definitely going down as one of them. From the team building and communication we learned from the Teeter Totter game yesterday to the powerful and emotionally stirring video on the tragic story of Michael Skolnik to the unbelievable scenery and serenity of the Bear Creek Trail hike this morning, this is an experience that can never be recreated but that I will hold in my heart and my mind forever. It is so easy to become jaded in medicine, especially as a resident, and this is exactly what I needed at this point in my life to reinforce why I went into medicine in the first place: for the patient.  I’m making a personal commitment to myself and to everyone here at TSRC that I am taking this home and will implement more patient safety measures and quality improvement at my home program at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital. I am going to start with resident education because I feel like this is the greatest need at present. We can each make a difference as long as we keep our eye on the common goal which is the health and safety of the patient, and thanks to this amazing week, I truly believe this and am ready to do my part.

As David Mayer likes to say, health care will change only if we educate the young.  The Telluride "campers," who are now alumni, are part of a growing cadre of young doctors (over 300 strong), who have fanned out to make incremental changes to improve the quality and safety of patient care and build an empathic health care system. Transformation does not come as a large one-time change in clinical practice: It comes from the sustained efforts of well-intentioned people in communities of care throughout the country.

No comments: